Erosion Control & Shoreland Erosion Control

What kinds of activities require a permit?

An Erosion Control Permit is required for any of the following:

  • Land disturbing activity in excess of 4,000 square feet of land
  • Land disturbing activity that involves excavation, filling, or a combination of excavation and filling, in excess of 400 cubic yards of material
  • Disturbing more than 100 lineal feet of road ditch, grass waterway, or other existing open channel
  • Creating a new public or private road or access drive longer than 125 feet
  • Recording a subdivision plat
  • Any other land disturbing activity (even if less than 4,000 square feet) that the local approval authority determines to have a high risk of soil erosion or water pollution, or that may significantly impact a lake, stream, or wetland area
  • Any land disturbing activity in the shoreland zone

The Shoreland Zone includes all lands which are within:

  • 1000 feet from the ordinary high-water mark (OHWM) of navigable lakes, ponds, or flowages
  • 300 feet of the ordinary high-water mark (OHWM) or landward side of the floodplain of the navigable reaches of rivers and streams
  • 75 feet of the shoreland or inland wetland district
  • Note: Shoreland zone erosion control plans must be stamped by a licensed professional engineer (P.E.). Minor projects may be exempt from the P.E. stamp requirement. Check with the Dane County Water Resource Engineering Division to see if your project qualifies for an exemption.

Permit Information

For more information regarding the different permits issued by the Water Resource Engineering Division, please see the Permit Information Sheet.

Agricultural ditching, repairing tile, or breaking out new land may require approvals from other agencies. Before you begin, see the checklist of items to complete.

While most street and road maintenance projects involving land disturbing activity require a permit, they may be exempt from permit fees. For more information, see the Permit Fee Exemption Memo.

Erosion control plans will now be reviewed for inclusion of framed inlet protection in all curb inlets. Field inlets may be protected with other approved methods. Framed inlet protection has been shown to be more effective and require less maintenance than Type-D inlet protection. For more information, see Framed Inlet Protection Guidance.


Download and print:

Permit Fee Schedule (click to view)

Additional Forms

Additional forms that may need to be submitted with your permit application(s):


Extent of Shoreland Zone

Extent of Shoreland Zone